Thursday, February 17, 2011

Indian Mound in Florence, AL

We had to visit the Indian Mound. We didn't go into the museum but we did climb the steps to the top.  What a view!  This marker is erected at the top and we're wondering how someone donates an Indian Mound?  It must have been on the family property at some point... but how do you own a ceremonial mound? Oh, I guess you just take it...

From a website:
The Florence Indian Mound is the Tennessee Valley area's largest domiciliary mound.   It is typical workmanship of the Indians who lived in this area before the Cherokees, Chickasaws, and Creeks.  Early settlers found steps on one side of the mound, and discovered that it had been enclosed by an earthen wall. 

1 comment:

  1. One of my friend in Florence, AL always tells me about that place. She always pleased me to go and visit there and she assures me that I will love Florence and decide to get a Homes in Florence AL. I will visit her next week and we're both excited!

    ReplyDelete